Sunday, June 9, 2013

Hours after, now in the ER at Stanford

    This is going to be a bit scattered because of the amount of time that has passed and well, honestly the drugs taken...

     I'll continue with what I recall up until I heard the ER doctors say "ketamine, give him some ketamine"

    The ER nurses rolled me into the emergency room and placed me on a not so cozy bed while, literally at least it seemed, every nurse and doctor had gathered around my bed to look at the damage.  They came in asking the standard questions, "what's your name, D.O.B., where are you?"

"What did you do??? This wound needs to be cleaned right away" the doc asked and explained.

"I wrecked into a mountain, do whatever it is you need to do." I responded.

    They pushed my bed into a separate room and began the cleaning process.   I remember a cold sensation being poured onto my exposed  muscle and bone. I let out an "Omg", the doctor asked "What, what is it?" and I replied with "that feels so good".  As the cool fluids washed over my wound the doctor then said "OK, this is going to hurt, we need to put the bones back in place." Seconds later he grabbed my foot and leg, I'm assuming, and started untwisting everything. At that moment I screamed and this time it was in pain, excruciating level 10 pain, and that's when I heard "ketamine, give him some ketamine."

    The K-hole.  For Real.  Not some meager disorientating buzz I experienced in my early 20's during the "experimental" stage of my life.

    I awoke to a doctor snapping his fingers in my face asking the same essential questions I'd been answering for the past few hours now. "what's your name, D.O.B., where are you?"

    X-rays and a CT scan shortly followed.

     Next I was wheeled into a room in the cardiology department to rest and think about what was going on.  To my surprise my foot was attached!!! My big toenail, black and blue, looking back at me through the top of soft cast, with  external pins holding my bones in place.  "No friggin' way," I thought to myself as I was barely able to muster a wiggle out of it.  I seriously thought the foot was going to be a distant memory, like that of a pet or woman once loved and lost.   Nope, not this relationship, my foot is a trooper and so am I, "we're gonna be alright, just hang in there sweetie." My other foot (left) was in an external type "L" brace, my lower back was sore and when I moved my ribs cracked and popped, but I was still alive and had a dilaudid drip at my finger tips, 10 or 15mg every 10min, and I made sure I hit the button immediately when it turned green.

    I can't recall when I got my phone or if I already had it on me, and for some reason I just sent out an email to my mom, pops and those close to me which read "I fucked up" in the subject line.  I don't know why I didn't call, maybe it was because it was late and I didn't want to wake or bother anyone with my woes. Whatever the reason was, it made sense at the time. Within the next 12hrs my pops was sitting next to me agreeing that I had indeed fucked up.

Earth Hurts...

1 comment:

  1. You are a truly amazing person. I'm glad you and your foot are still here to be who you are.

    ReplyDelete